20070624

FEELOSOPHY @ PHILOSOFFEE

I was pondering upon this word one day after an argument with another person, that it's okay to have different opinions because we all have our own identity. Used in such circumstance, I often imagine that the word 'identity' refers to the uniqueness of a person; like a character that defines me as me, and that I am who I am because my identity says so, and so I am like no others.

But upon careful dissection of the word, it actually means other that what I understood - that identity means the similarity with another! That my identity is a reflection of my similarity with another point of reference. That I am not my own, but my being is classified or realised by how much I am similar to someone else! (Now suddenly the word identical twins catches its meaning).

This brings me back to many years ago when I was brewing on the theory that one's characters or identity is formed by its surrounding - therefore a person is like a sponge, that absorbs the character of his environment. If that is so, what is my composition? If I can describe myself in 5 words, what would they be? What are the environmental factors or surrounding influences that contributes to the 5 words?

What do you feel about this thought?

2 comments:

All Blog Spots said...

nice blog

Sheena said...

What on earth??

How can identity be a point of similarity with other people? In my book, that's society, culture, etc. Identity is how you stand out from the crowd, or blend into the crowd, depending on whether you are the white or purple thread of a Greek toga - your personality, clothes, features, thinking. Point is, it's about you.

And I was going to try my hand at describing myself in 5 words... then realised I can't be bothered to psychoanalyse myself now. Quite happy being as superficial & as cynical as I am now. (Not that I'd use those 2 words to describe me... Just my current state of mind.)